COUPLES AND MARRIAGE COUNSELING
Love Passion Connection Trust
Play Excitement Honesty Peace
Companionship Intimacy Friendship
Wanting more of these qualities in your relationship? Couples or Marriage Counseling may be for you!
Couples counseling can help you achieve these qualities. One of the major reasons couples run into problems is because of difficulty communicating their needs and resolving their differences.
- Do you avoid discussing a problem?
- Do your conversations end up in an argument?
- Do you have unresolved hurt from something your partner said or did?
- Do you have resentments starting to build?
- Do you feel more distance?
Most couples never took classes in how to successfully communicate. We get manuals and tutorials for our computer but don’t have equivalent training in how to develop mutually satisfying relationships. We frequently rely on how our parents communicated, which may not have been the most skillful based on their own life experiences.
A goal of couple’s counseling is to learn how to communicate more effectively and enhance your connectedness.
You will have the opportunity to learn how to:
- Develop effective communication skills
- Listen and express your needs in a safe environment with an objective coach
- Resolve conflicts respectfully
- Discuss different beliefs about money, sex, religion, parenting and more
- Appreciate problems associated with your families of origin
- Respect differences as tools for creating balance
- Develop mutual personal, couple and family goals
I view couples counseling as a way to strengthen and enhance a relationship. This can be done before you make a commitment to each other, before you enter the relationship, or everywhere in between.
If your partner won’t come in, don’t let that stop you from seeking the help you desire. You can still learn a lot in how to work through some of your differences by coming in by yourself.
Sometimes couples find it helpful to each work with me individually and as a couple; other times they only come in as a couple. We would discuss all options and mutually agree on the best route for you. Couples may wish to immerse themselves in the work and try to make a lot of progress quickly. If you desire that, having a day-long session can be quite informative and moving.